Friday, March 26, 2010

Pet Day!

Kids just love animals. When I taught public school we used to have a school wide pet day every year. For a couple of hours in the afternoon, parents would be allowed to bring various pets for the children to enjoy. We had all kinds of pets present at this event. Snakes, pigs, horses, goats, birds, and of course dogs and cats were brought to the school for the afternoon. The kids loved it.

Well, yesterday reminded me of pet day at school. As you may know, my day started with the washing of a horse, feeding of the goats, and a walk with the dogs.

I love all of the animals; but I especially love the dogs. Mo, my little hunter, is my vole killer. She has 'taken care' of several voles this spring. She single- handedly sniffs out and digs up the voles that have been plaguing my back boarder for some time.



She is actually very good at what she does. However, after seeing her with several prizes lately, I decided that it was time to call in reinforcements.



We went to the local animal shelter and asked for the most vicious vole killers that they had. We were led to the room that housed the felines, and we chose our weapons carefully.

Aren't they cute? I don't know how much help they will be this summer! In fact, my girls are already so attached that they may never make it outside to even see a vole.



Of course, each of the girls was allowed to name her own kitty.

Catie, the philosopher in the family, named hers Voltaire.



Carson, the country music lover, named hers Garth, after Garth Brooks.



They are awful cute! I guess two more animals on the farm won't hurt at thing!

9 comments:

Randy said...

Oh they're spoiled already! They'll be so pampered they won't be in the mood to hunt for anything. LOL-- Randy

Roses and Lilacs said...

They definitely do not have that killer look in their eyes, lol. They do get points on the cuteness meter:)

My kitties are very good at eliminating moles, voles, mice, gophers and chipmunks. Toby was about 6 months old when he started hunting.
Marnie

myletterstoemily said...

oooh, i can tell those are vicious killers!

they say that snakes are afraid of cats
because of their lightning quick reflexes.

i have a feeling garth and voltaire will be
much more lethal than they look now.

such lovely girls you have!

sweetbay said...

Those kittens are adorable!!

tina said...

They are adorable and will hopefully hold down those pesky voles. I really don't like them at all (the voles). Love the names.

Junkie Junkeldorf said...

Thanks so much for linking to Fur Friends Friday. And a big DOUBLE thank you for adopting from a shelter.

Blessings,
Necel from the Old House in Texas

myletterstoemily said...

hey carla!

it's me again. sorry to bother you, but
i just had the strangest thing happen.

after i published my latest piece, i was
doing the inevitable editing. it seems
that i can never catch errors until i push
that publish button.

anyway, for some reason your comments
and two others vanished. can you fathom
why that would be?

i always enjoy reading your comments on
my two favorite blogs, joan's and vee's!

have a lovely saturday!

Glenda said...

My granddaughters would love your kittens! Our oldest volunteers at an animal shelter, and her family just adopted a puppy there.

The names for the kitties tell a lot about the personalities of your girls! That's neat!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Joan Elizabeth said...

Oh I adore kittens ... I am so jealous ... I can't have any these days because they give me hay fever.