Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Time of Reflection


Today is the first day of Lent. It is the time of year for reflection and soul-searching. It is a time for preparing my heart for the Easter celebration. I always try to give up something that I enjoy on a daily basis so that every time I think of it or miss it, I also think about the sacrifice that Jesus made for me. Last year I gave up soft drinks (including diet sodas). After the forty days, I realized that my body felt much better without them. This year I am giving up sweets. (Really hard to do considering the large box of chocolates I just received from John for Valentine's.) I'm not sure that I will be able to continue this sacrifice after the forty days are over this time! When I think about God's love for me and how undeserving I am, giving up sweets doesn't seem to be much of a sacrifice on my part. It will, however, serve as a constant reminder of the sweet love that Jesus pours over my soul each and every day.

No comments: