Thursday, February 10, 2011

Valentine's Table Scape

I thought I would link up with Susan at Between Naps on the Porch today with a Valentine's table scape. I set this table last year for my book club that meets once a month to discuss the books that we are currently reading. I was lucky enough to get to host the club in February. February is always poetry month...my favorite. It is also a great month to decorate for the meeting.



This is the table in my sunroom. I love hosting book club in this spot since it is the one with the best view of the water.



The china is actually my wedding pattern from Noritake. I love using it for Valentine's because of the soft pink flowers.



The flowers were purchased at our local Walmart and arranged in a McCoy vase that I purchased at an auction for just a few dollars many years ago. During the summer months I always use flowers that are in my yard for arrangements. Since I didn't have anything blooming at the time, I had to buy them instead.



I just put a square of florist foam soaked in water in the vase and added the flowers. It helps to start with the flowers in the middle and then work to the sides. I fill in with the greenery and fillers last.



I always view the arrangement from all sides to make sure there are no gaps in between the flowers where the foam shows through.



Taking pictures of the arrangement is a good way to spot any mistakes.



This particular arrangement lasted for well over a week. I was very pleased to get to enjoy them for that long.



When it is my turn to host the book club, I always try to use what I have on hand. I only purchase what I absolutely have to. It doesn't take a lot of money to make a beautiful setting...just a little time!

15 comments:

Michelle said...

Love it! Love it! Love it! Can you tell...I love it! It looks like the perfectly pink setting for a sweet time with friends.

Masha said...

I am really impressed by your elegant and tasteful table setting. I love the tablecloth with roses, and the china is so delicate and beautiful. Your flower arrangement is great! When I make bouquets, I just stick some blooms in a vase.... Looking at yours makes me want to learn to do it better.

Allison said...

Carla, I want to come. I want to sit at your beautiful table by the grand windows overlooking your lovely lake. I could bring the elderberry syrup? ;) Just beautiful, Carla!

From the Kitchen said...

I'd love to discuss poetry at your beautiful table! As it so happens, February is my month to host book club, The Muses, at my home.

Best,
Bonnie

Paula@SweetPea said...

What a beautiful table! Who wouldn't enjoy sitting in your pretty sunroom eating with friends with a view like yours?

I love, love, love your McCoy centerpiece. I can't get enough of pottery pieces like this.

Rebecca said...

You have a real knack with flower arranging, it seems to me! The whole table is beautiful, but the flowers especially caught my eye.

tina said...

I'd love to come to a party at your house. It is a beautiful perfect setting for a garden club. Are you in any garden clubs? That is red ribbon winner arrangement for sure.

Joan Elizabeth said...

What a dainty setting. It must be fun to be part of a book club and to get to do something special for your friends. Poetry is my favourite too.

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

What a lovely setting, sure makes a person feel so special to know you went to so much trouble. Its the little touches that make all the difference.

Grace on the Narrow Path said...

So lovely ... can I join your book club? LOL
Great work on the flower arrangement!!!
God bless you.
Bren

Glenda said...

So beautiful and inviting!

Alycia Nichols said...

What a pretty table! You did a magnificent job on your centerpiece!!! Makes you feel really good when you can create your own, doesn't it? I really, really like your table linen! It just has such a feminine, graceful look to it! I am sure your book club really enjoyed sitting down to eat at this table! Beautiful Noritake china, too. I like the pattern! I wish you and your husband a wonderful, loving Valentine's Day. Thanks so much for sharing your pretty table!

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

I would very much enjoy a seat at your pretty table. Your Noritake wedding china is beautiful. Hope your poetry discussion was inspiring. I know what you mean about taking photos to see problems--I always notice the mistakes in my tables after I see the photos. Have a wonderful Valentine's Day. Linda

sweetbay said...

Oh my gosh, that tablescape is gorgeous!

Carol said...

Everything looks so beautiful.